Welcome to our Infant Optics DXR-8 review, the latest monitor made by this top quality company.
These system really come handy when parenting infants and toddlers. They are great tools that help in multi-tasking and let you enjoy peace of mind while you are away from your baby doing chores around the house or even taking a nap in your own bedroom. A video monitor doesn’t let your baby get out of sight even when you are away from him.
The DXR-8 video monitor by Infant Optics is the world’s first ever monitor that comes with interchangeable lens technology. It allows users to use normal lens, optical zoom lens or wide-angle lens. It is an investment that grows with your family. With pan, tilt and zoom technology, talk back functions, sound activated LED display, and a compact 3.5” display, this video monitor lets you keep a close eye on your baby and makes sure nothing escapes your notice even when you are away.
Characteristics of the DXR-8 Video Monitor
The following sections of our review focus on the important charactistics included with this model. We have done our best to extract the most useful attributes and provide the reasoning for why they are beneficial for parents who want an active eye on their children.
World’s first ever interchangeable lens technology
The interchangeable lens technology gives it an SLR feel and lets you customize viewing angles and focal length. Most parents used to complain about digital zoom in video monitors, which used the software to simulate the picture to appear closer. This often gave an unclear view and was a problem when monitoring the child during sleep. However, with interchangeable lens technology, you can simply change the lens and use optical zoom lens to view your child at a closer length without compromising the picture quality.
Normal lens and optical zoom lens are included with the DXR-8 system. However, when the child grows and becomes more mobile, a wide angle lens can be bought separately and used for a panoramic view of the entire room.
3.5” color LCD display monitor
It comes with a sleek and compact 3.5” LCD display that brings brilliance in color and clarity. The display unit is completely wireless and comes with a rechargeable battery. It streams video and sound in real time from the baby’s room. It has crystal clear resolution and automatic infrared night vision for optimal picture even in the dark. The display unit also includes a temperature indicator and a sound activated LED display. When the volume is down, the LED lights flash when sound is indicated.
Pan/Tilt remote controlled camera
The display unit has easy controls that can be used to direct the camera to pan or tilt to give you the view you want. You can easily use the pan/tilt feature to follow your baby and keep a watchful eye on the entire room. Up to 4 additional cameras can be linked to the display unit and the monitor can be set at auto scan to switch between cameras at an interval of 12 seconds.
The system comes with built in microphone and speakers that can be used to talk back to your baby. You can soothe the baby by singing a lullaby or cooing back to him.
2.4 GHz FHSS signal of 700 feet with built in encryption
It provides a secure and interference free signal of 2.4 GHz with built in encryption for added security and 700 feet open area coverage. The built in encryption prevents neighbors with the same unit from picking up your signals.
Infant Optics is a reputable name when it comes to baby video monitors. The DXR-5 video monitor is a best seller on Amazon and it has received 2,435 customer reviews enjoying a rating of 4.2/5. On the other hand, the Infant Optics DXR-8 is a few steps up from the DXR-5 and is now #1 in Amazon’s top rated video monitors list. It has received well over two thousand reviews from regular users.
Users are mostly happy with the interchangeable lens technology that allows them to change lenses and use the unit even when the baby has grown up and has become more mobile. They also found the optical zoom lens extremely helpful when monitoring the baby during sleep.
Pros of DXR-8 Video Monitor
- Perfect close view using the optical zoom lens
- It is very easy to use. The menu is intuitive and user friendly. There are also short keys for volume and brightness. The pan and tilt controls are very easy to use.
- It has excellent build quality and feels sturdier than other monitors. Also, it can blend in easily with the baby’s room décor with its soft colors.
- Crystal clear resolution; excellent picture quality
- Night vision is crystal clear.
- It has long power cords, which make it easy to charge it anywhere.
- Battery life is great and doesn’t require frequent charging.
- 2.4 GHz FHSS signal ensures full security and interference free signal
- It is expandable to 4 cameras which is great for a family with more than 1 kid that needs monitoring.
- It includes a temperature sensor, which is helpful in keeping a check on the baby’s environment also
- Amazing customer service; they are always prompt in their replies
Cons of the Monitor
- A few customers have complained about the signal being not long enough. The signal is great if there is an open area but if there are 2-3 brick walls between the camera and the monitor, the signal starts to go. However, this problem can be solved by wall mounting the camera.
- Sound is not very great and the unit is not able to stream all newborn sounds, which might be a problem for parents who want to make sure they don’t miss their newborn sounds.
- The video is not always smooth and sometimes shows a jerky video.
- The signal is interfered by other devices with 2.4 GHz frequency, which is what most devices like smartphones and tablets use these days. It is recommended to keep the unit at least 3’ feet from any such devices.
- It doesn’t support wi-fi.
- The unit doesn’t include lullabies or other soothing music which would have been an added benefit.
- The camera doesn’t include a night lamp that is offered in other models like the Samsung SEW-3038.
The Infant Optics DXR-8 is a valuable investment that grows with the family. Its first ever interchangeable lens technology clearly pushes this model to the top of the list. It can be used not only for infants but also for toddlers.
Toddlers are more active and more prone to injuries and accidents. Don’t let your toddler get out of sight with the wide angle lens available separately. It gives you a panoramic view of the entire room without needing to pan and tilt manually.
If the family grows bigger, the unit can simply be linked to more cameras creating a monitoring network in your home.
So, if you want a video monitor that lets you keep a close watch on your baby giving you extreme convenience and added functionality, and lets you change lenses to get the exact view you want, the Infant Optics DXR-8 is the one for you. Its interchangeable lens technology and excellent pan, tilt and zoom camera truly make it an investment that will grow with your family.